This section of the website is intended for use by members of the school community to support the implementation of the requirements set out in Ryan’s Law 2015 (Ensuring Asthma Friendly Schools), to support students with asthma. Implementation Tip sheets have been created for each member of the school community (i.e., school boards, principals, parent/guardians and students) and are accessible on the left hand navigation links.
What is an Asthma Friendly School?
An Asthma Friendly School is one that works towards achieving seven essential goals in order to support the entire school community in understanding and managing asthma.
Seven Goals for becoming an Asthma Friendly School:
- Establish a process to identify students with asthma.
- Allow students with asthma easy access to asthma medication.
- Establish a process for handling worsening asthma.
- Identify and reduce common asthma triggers within the school environment.
- Encourage students with asthma to participate in physical activity and play.
- Provide opportunities for asthma education.
- Collaborate to create an asthma friendly school.